Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Just another bullet in the chamber.

3:44 AM – 6 more hours to go for the test…and only 6 more chapters to complete. Pretty heartening, except for the fact that there are only six chapters in this book, and fighting in the Vietnam War would be easier than trying to understand circuit analysis techniques. I don’t even know why I am trying to mug up 7 different ways of analysing an Operational Amplifier. If this is why I worked my socks off to get into this place; it was certainly not worth the labour. I guess I’ll give up circuit theory for tonight, dump my GMATism and rely on plan B. Plan B almost always works, its simple, does not employ too much mental resources and easy to use. Copying in the tests is plan B.
Well, as I said, it ALMOST always works. Problem is, everybody around me seems to be relying on plan B. That leaves very few people to put on their GMAT outfits and park their butts and swot up. From what I can gather, the exam seems to be the last thing my folks are thinking about.
I hear SMGs and AK-47s rattling away and the occasional boom of the sniper rifle, and then the radio voice announcing – Counter-Terrorists win. Some speed freak is dodging spike strips and Rhino police cars, as yet another multiplayer NFS game starts. I can know that a person of my kind is in a room, when I hear the groan of a dying Teutonic Knight, and siege rams taking down another French Castle. I hear a guy shouting from the 2nd floor asking me to share the 8th season of Southpark and the entire Justice League on the LAN. Then there are these fashion disasters (the Juuudes – that’s Dudes for you) walking around in the quadrangle, kicking sand and stones romantically, talking on the phone to their 7th girlfriend of the month. The studs, fuelled by nicotine and machismo adopted from beer commercials, respected by most and often feared, are out goofing around with their own kind. The football crazy kind is in the common room, watching EPL on our fabulous Plasma screen. The more active kind of people is playing Table tennis or badminton. The watchmen persuade a couple of boarders to join them in a game of carrom, nice diversion from a glum routine. I hear guitars, as my friend tries out a new tune. I can see two drunk guys on the first floor arguing passionately about who has a bigger manhood, soon the topic changes, they make peace and engage in a game of Kabaddi right in the corridor, surrounded by a large group of people seeking free entertainment, all this at 4 in the morning, wearing barely anything!!! In the room next to mine, the computer engineering bloke does not give a 50 cent about the exams, and is fanatically typing away…some new claptrap code. Then we have these authentic techie guys, The Steve Wozniacs of today, who are 3 steps ahead, and are right now testing their first practical application of the Operational Amplifier (see above). I see a small group of guys animatedly discussing the benefits of allowing PE notes in stock market, just that this intellectual dialogue is generously peppered with unmentionables, makes it kind of amusing for people who do not understand the ABC of business. Another guy is updating his album in a social networking site, constantly blessing and thanking Adobe Photoshop. The rooms in my corridor are playing absolutely everything, from booming Polish black metal in my room, to Spice girls in the one opposite, to the Bollywood cap dude, to inexplicable south Indian stuff. Two guys pass next to my room making comments about how jobless the junta has become. Two guys of the GMAT kind. I’ll be running after them like a tame puppy during the exam week. All this while, unremitting orders of maggi, and Top Ramen, and double bread poach and tea and coffee are being shouted out to the poor chap at the night canteen. I get a small kick in the teeth when I hear of guys downloading subject material from websites of American Universities, as if we don’t have enough shit on our plates already!!! There is this solitary zombie kind of guy, who keeps walking up and down the corridors at night freaking out fragile hearts like that of mine. I hear a lone abandoned puppy moaning at a distance in thick overgrowth behind my room, the thick fog and chilly weather gives that a slightly creepy touch. 4 rooms from mine, the door opens, with the guy yelling – “5 movies in a row, beat that bitch.”

My plate of Top ramen and cup of coffee arrives.

Grave apprehension, everybody is depending on Plan B!! As the last cigarette burns away between my fingers and the heavy metal album ends, I feel the effect of the two Avil 50 tablets kicking in, and my eyelids bravely try battling gravity. I gulp down my cuppa and somehow swallow my noodles. Who gives a flying f&#^ about the test, let fate take its course…It has always been that way…For the last 3 semesters at least. I plan, and God laughs.

Somewhere in A-110, Homi Bhabha Hall of Residence, a guy dumps his clothes and books and empty cigarette boxes off the bed and prepares to sleep.

Another day in the life of crash_w!lDcHilD

Peace be with you…

crash_w!lDcHilD



http://www.flipkart.com/wishlist/aneekmukherjee-4843





http://astore.amazon.com/wwwdazedandpo-20






Flipkart.com









the wall



blah blah


blah





Flipkart.com




Books

10 comments:

Sudhakar said...

Amazing stuff. Kudos to u.. Gonna recommend this to people.. I think u should resume blogging.. You have the literary capability in you.. What say?

When i read my posts after i have written them, i dont enjoy, i dont get that satisfaction.. But i assume it is opposite in your case..

Unknown said...

simply awesome....!

Praneet Gourav said...

Hey dude...this was something...

Keep it up....

FaTaLiTy said...

Real gr8 writin yaar.. uve included everything yaar...

was fun reading the post...
...

Debidutt Acharya said...

dude....the best part bout ur post is the way u've made me connect...its really brilliant...every minute detail so well similised... and compared with.... sointeresting and funny at da same time...keep up da good work...it made me imagine evry single moment dat u've described so wel...man...u rock..

Shards of Words said...

I read this blog after i wrote my first one, and believe me, now i feel like a minnow.
It's simply awesome,every description is immaculate, u feel as if u r experiencing the feelings urself, u can hear each sound, visualise urself in every scene, It's a real literary treat. And, yeah, Plan-B really works buddy.!!!!!!

Kaushik Patnaik said...

gr8 writing man...u really connected with me
i could imagine each line as it went by..and u have covered the entire gamut of life in NIt rkl

from da juntaa to da gmats
from da nerds to da duud

Pavan said...

Zhakkas hai yaar....fir se college ki yaadein taaza kar diya...

Likhte raho..u are an amazing blogger !!!!

insomniac! said...

damn!! if this is what hostel life is.. i definitely missed out on somethin HUGE in life..

Loved the post and the style even more!!..

anshu said...

Can't believe did not read this untill today...Simply awesome man..I am just wondering who shouted "beat that bitch!!"...well written mate..Now I have good pass time for a few more days :)